A 1-2 hour tour includes
Walk the streets trod by Billy The Kid, John Ringo, Curley Bill, Russian Bill, The Clantons, Jim Hughes and Sandy King.
Walk a portion of the Butterfield Trail.
Hear stories of the west the way it really was.
The guided tour includes the interiors of seven buildings.
THE COMPANY MINING HOUSE
The building, built between 1914 and 1923,
originally was at the Santa Rita Copper Mine in
danger of being swallowed up by the growing
open pit. It was moved to this site in the mid 1970's. The building was used as Janaloo's
THE GRANT HOUSE
The back portion was the old Butterfield Stage
Station. The front dining room, which was added
later, sometimes served as the hanging room.
GRANT HOUSE SALOON
The only saloon left of some 15 or 16 here in
1870-1873. Here is where Charles Williams, the
meanest man in town, nearly died of a gunshot
Where Governor George P. Hunt waited tabels as a boy and where Robert Ingersoil, Governor Ross and Lew Wallace ( Ben Hur ) stayed and where a man was killed in a gun fight over an egg. According to old timers, Billy the Kid washed dishes here briefly after getting in trouble in Silver City.
OLD ARMY MAIL STATION
Dating from about 1856, this building was used by the army. It was on the road between Ft. Thorn and Ft. Buchanan. Used by the army up until the telegraph became prevalent at that point the army abandoned this building and family's would move in using the building as a home.
Where ore samples were tested. Built in 1870, rebuilt in 1879 and operated by the Shakespeare Gold and Silver Mining and Milling Co.
This was the blacksmith shop for the National Mail & Transportation Company the last cross-country stage line to run through this area and was replaced by the railroad in 1881, but the blacksmith shop continued to be used all during the 1800's.
THE POWDER MAGAZINE
Where black powder was stored for the Shakspeare Gold and Silver Mining & Milling Company and the Smythe, Long and Price General Merchandise.
This also served as a Post Office, Telegraph Office and arsenal for the militia. Frank & Rita Hill moved into this building in 1935. The building was destroyed by fire in 1997, but the foundation is intact. When funds become available, it will be rebuilt.
JIM EMANUEL WESTERN COLLECTION
This valuable collection of antique and reproduction guns, custom made holsters, saddles and tack is displayed in a special vault. The collection is shown on all regular tour days.